Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Looking back on my trip

Looking back after being home a week:
I'm thinking about the two parts of my trip, Ireland and Germany. Two European countries that are not SO different. My experience in both countries was similar. I walked about ten miles a day. European cities are so walkable and compact. Public transportation just aids you in walking and not having a car. In Los Angeles, I wouldn't want to walk a mile, but in Dublin, Berlin, and even San Francisco I wouldn't mind it.

But in some ways the two parts were so different. Irish speak English and I could talk to them, while Germans I understood but didn't speak to. That's an enormous difference for a traveller. To speak to people and interact is to be immersed in the country. I was more an observer in Germany.

I'll add more reflections as I think of them. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment