Monday, August 12, 2013

Goodbye Koblenz, Hello Dusseldorf

Mosel River from the ship

Koblenz from the Mosellle

A barge from Rotterdam in Koblenz
My last post from the Rhine and soon to be my last post in Europe! Great espresso at Coffee Hero. Skipped the Fruhstuck (hotel breakfast): too many deli meats and cheese this early. Printed boarding pass for tomorrow from Dusseldorf. Boarding train to Dusseldorf in 1/2 hour. Alles gut!

HAPPINESS FACTOR
BBC interviewed Arianna Huffington on a panel with two other guests, one who has written a book about happiness, all arguing that the GDP of countries is less important than the well being of its citizens (GWB?), or at least both should be taken into account. The author, after a spell of depression, reconnected with creativity and play by interacting and modeling behavior of children. I've noticed my affinity for children playing while traveling on this trip, often with no toys and long waits, and yet they continue to make sounds, interact with a sibling or a parent in a playful way, and enjoy humor and simple games more than adults do. I've known this, but this trip I'm responding more to their playfulness. With my child nearly an adult, how can I reconnect with the playfulness of youth? Invite 3rd graders to come to class with my seniors for story time? Read to kindergarteners?

BOOK TALK
Establish book talks at our school: student or adult starts the period with a book in hand, a short review, then a short reading, max 3 minutes. Students of any age or staff who aren't classroom teachers are encouraged to participate. With two book talks a week it takes max 6 min but could establish a reading culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment