Monday, August 12, 2013

Do new resolutions made in Europe hold true in the States?


Do vows made in Germany still count in California? 

(for now) I VOW TO:
  • Blog about classroom tech enabling literacy at least weekly (find 40 minutes anywhere on campus to type up a blog post)
  • Keep blogging at PeaceCorpsNepal.blogspot.com even if I'm not traveling except a freeway commute: LACMA and Getty art museums, hearing music in Los Angeles, lifestyle in L.A... It means re-purposing my blog from travel, Nepal, Europe to a staycation about culture. Can I do it? Stay tuned!
  • Be active on Twitter, not just lurking and retweeting, but actively making contributions from my classroom practice, links to student blogs, my edutech blog, my classroom blog, my reading in Penny Kittle and NCTE publications, etc. Also, ask questions of my professional learning community on Twitter (Kittle, Jago, Burke, etc.)
  • Visit some people at USC, Michael Messner, John Holland, Jack Blum, perhaps others as well.
  • Get book talks going in MS and Upper School.
  • Get student conversations going outside of class time 
  • Get teacher conversations going during or after school about instructional practice, classroom technology, best practice in each discipline and grade level. Rich conversations about teaching and student learning.
  • VTS (visual thinking strategy) support group for trained teachers and others who are interested. How can we get art and visuals into the classroom and train students in how to SEE visual details and how to THINK about what they are seeing, and start conversations with teacher and classmates about what they see?
  • Establish a culture of writing short scripts and poetry 6th through 12th grade with a forum for performing during school or after.
  • Student book recommendations on a common website.
Did I say these are just goals? One thing about travel is it inspires one to go back refreshed and renewed (after jet leg subsides). Like going to professional conferences where you decide "I'll do that when I get back to the classroom" but the reality of prepping and grading soon evaporates those lofty resolutions. Still some ideas stick, and then travel (and conferences) are worth it. Very much so.

No comments:

Post a Comment